Dec. 8, 2012
• Virginia allowed under 40 points for the second straight game, the first time the Cavaliers have allowed under 40 in consecutive games since 1948-49 (38 by Langley Field, 39 by Richmond Royals)
• Mississippi Valley State’s 19 percent (11-58) from the floor is the lowest percentage ever by a Virginia opponent (previous record was by UNLV, 22.4%, 13-58, on Jan. 3, 1994)
• MVSU’s 19 percent is the second lowest FG% this season by a Division I team (North Carolina A&T shot 15.2% in a 93-39 loss at Cincinnati on Nov. 18)
• The Delta Devils’ 11 field goals tie the record for fewest by a Virginia opponent (James Madison, 11-41, on Dec. 1, 1982)
• Virginia held Mississippi Valley State to 17 second-half points, marking the fifth time this season the Cavaliers have held an opponent under 20 points in a half
• The Cavaliers held an opponent under 40 points for the fifth time in the Tony Bennett era
• Virginia held an opponent under 50 points for the fifth time this year (5-0) and the 23rd time in the Tony Bennett era (22-1)
• Virginia played a SWAC opponent for the first time in 11 seasons and the second time overall (def. Grambling 112-67 on Dec. 30, 2001)
• Virginia won its seventh consecutive game
• Akil Mitchell (20 pts) has scored in double figures in nine of 10 games this season
• Mitchell had the second 20-point game of his career
• Caid Kirven made his collegiate debut
• Doug Browman saw action for the first time in five games, Taylor Barnette saw action for the first time in four games and Thomas Rogers saw action for the first time in five games
Player Career Highs
• Akil Mitchell tied a career high with 20 points
• Akil Mitchell had a career-high four steals
• Darion Atkins tied a career high with 14 points
• Justin Anderson had a career-high 15 points and a career-high nine rebounds
• Joe Harris had a career-high six assists
• Taylor Barnette tied a career high with four assists
• Mike Tobey had a career-high three blocks
Moses Seizes Chance to Broaden HorizonsWomen's Basketball7/29/16Virginia's top returning post player, junior forward Lauren Moses, has had an eventful summer that included four weeks in Spain.Cavalier Football NotebookFootball7/27/16The start of training camp is approaching for UVA's football team, which opens the season Sept. 3 against Richmond at Scott Stadium.Culture Change Under Way for UVA FootballFootball7/21/16Head coach Bronco Mendenhall, center Jackson Matteo and linebacker Micah Kiser represented Virginia at the ACC Football Kickoff on Thursday.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Hunter Finds Comfort Zone at UVA
M. Basketball | 7/15/2016
Virginia's freshmen include De'Andre Hunter, a 6-7 forward who was Pennsylvania's Class AA player...
Jeff White: Summer Buildup Begins in Earnest
M. Basketball | 6/28/2016
The Cavaliers, who will travel to Spain in August, held their first practice of the summer...
Brogdon Selected by Milwaukee in 2016 NBA Draft
M. Basketball | 6/23/2016
Former Virginia two-time All-American Malcolm Brogdon (Atlanta, Ga.) was selected by the...
Brogdon Named to USA Men’s Select Team
M. Basketball | 6/7/2016
Former Virginia two-time All-American Malcolm Brogdon (Atlanta, Ga.) is one of 25 players chosen ...
Virginia to Host Ohio State in 2016 ACC/Big Ten Challenge
M. Basketball | 5/24/2016
Virginia will host Ohio State in the 18th ACC/Big Ten Challenge on Wednesday, Nov. 30. This year'...
Jeff White: Checking In With Justin Anderson
M. Basketball | 5/18/2016
Former UVA star Justin Anderson, who recently completed his rookie season with the NBA's Mavs,...
Malcolm Brogdon and Leah Smith UVA's Top Athletes
M. Basketball | 05/04/2016
Malcolm Brogdon (men's basketball) and Leah Smith (women's swimming) were honored as Virginia's...
Bennett, Brogdon and Gill Honored by VaSID
M. Basketball | 04/22/2016
Virginia's Tony Bennett, Malcolm Brogdon (Atlanta, Ga.) and Anthony Gill (High Point, N.C.) were ...
- Online Stores