Dec. 30, 2012
Box Score |
Photo Gallery |
- Virginia improved to 10-3 overall with the win.
- Virginia improved to 2-0 all-time vs. Wofford and 25-5 all-time vs. Southern Conference opponents.
- Wofford's 17 first-half points marked the sixth time this season the Cavaliers held their opponent under 20 points in a half.
- The Cavaliers shot a season-high 63.8 percent (30-47) from the field, including a season-best 70.8 percent in the second half.
- Virginia held its opponent under 40 points for the third time this season (seventh time in the Bennett era and the 10th time in the shot clock era)
- The Cavaliers are 6-0 when holding opponents under 50 points and 23-1 when holding opponents under 50 during the Tony Bennett era.
- Virginia is 8-1 when scoring 60 or more points.
Player Career Highs
- Mike Tobey had a career-high 19 points on 9-10 shooting from the field.
- Tobey grabbed a career-high six rebounds.
- Tobey played a career-high 27 minutes.
- Doug Browman handed out a career-high six assists.
- Browman played a career-high 23 minutes.
- Evan Nolte had a career-high six rebounds.
- Teven Jones had a career-best two three-point field goals.
- Akil Mitchell tied a career high with four steals.
On the team's intensity and effort during today's game after the ODU game:
"This team, I've watched them closely. They beat Xavier on the road and the game before that they won on the road by about 45. They are a team that I thought would really test our ability on defense to sustain or be continuous with chase and screens because they have real good shooting. Cochran had a rough shooting game, but I thought Doug [Browman] gave us a good lift. I knew we'd have to really work defensively whether it was single screens or double screens, and be in a stance and that is what I was pleased with. We were there in the catch and didn't give them too many uncontested shots. I thought that made the difference on the defensive end."
On Mike Tobey's offense and Doug Browman's defense:
"Doug defensively did [a great job] and even a couple times offensively, he handled the ball and created some shots. Obviously, you could see that Wofford was small, and I thought we took advantage of the mismatches and Mike showed his soft touch. He really has a nice touch and it's just a matter of time as his strength comes and his experience. He'll get better, but he can score and he has some skills. He hit a three and showed you some perimeter stuff."
On Doug Browman's playing time:
"I thought Doug [Browman] practiced well and we were very concerned with Cochran. They've been down in games. They get down 18 or 20 and they've made some unbelievable comebacks. Cochran will score in bunches and we thought, at times I've been going with Taylor [Barnette], but Doug [Browman] practiced well and he brings the experience of a senior that knows our system. We thought we needed that and so that's why he got more time and was very effective out there."
On Darion Atkins' playing time:
"He's been battling a bit of a shin issue and it just flared up on him this week in practice, even after the days off. He was struggling with that before the last game against Old Dominion and we'll get it looked at and hopefully, it's nothing too serious."
On his role:
"It's just really good to get out there and get some minutes with the guys. To get the chance to get in there and be effective is really a blessing. The coaches always tell me to stay ready just in case, because we don't really know what's happening with Jontel. So, they always tell me to stay prepared and mentally engaged."
On his minutes today:
"I really didn't expect to play that many minutes today. But like I said I'm always ready to go in. I knew I might have a significant role today, just knowing their players and how they play."
On the win:
"It helped us a lot, especially after a tough loss against ODU. It helped our confidence to get a win against a good team in Wofford, and it really helped us going forward. We have a tough challenge next Sunday."
Virginia Freshman Forward/Center Mike Tobey:
On the game:
"I came to the game trying to play hard and trying to win a game. But the most important thing the coach emphasized was that this is a good team and we just needed to come out ready to play."
On following the loss to ODU:
"We definitely should not have lost that game. It wasn't a good way to go into our little winter break, and it was definitely important for us to bounce back today. I think we did a good job with that."
On learning under Akil Mitchell:
"Akil is a great leader. He's a great mentor for me. He's been through the system for two years now, and he is really good at working with us young guys and keeping our heads up."
Wofford Head Coach Mike Young:
On Mike Tobey:
"He hasn't played a lot, but our scouting report had him at good 15-feet and in, moves well. I thought we could put him into some ball screens but my stars, he showed great hands, but he was really impressive. We knew he was a good player, but we were more concerned with [Akil] Mitchell and [Darion] Atkins in the post than we were Tobey, but he had an excellent game, let's be honest."
On Doug Browman:
"He took Cochran out of the game. We really had a hard time getting Cochrane into some things. Browman really managed the game from his spot. He has a great understanding of his role. He's not going to turn it over, ran his team and guarded people. Something tells me that Tony [Bennett] is going to find a place for someone like that."