Nov. 16, 2012
Postgame Notes • Nov. 15, 2012 North Carolina 37, Virginia 13
• North Carolina improved to 7-4 overall and 4-3 in the ACC with a 37-13 victory over Virginia. It is the Tar Heels’ third-straight win over the Cavaliers and second consecutive win in Charlottesville. The three-game streak is the longest over Virginia since Carolina won nine straight from 1974-82.
• Carolina improved to 6-4 overall in ESPN Thursday night games.
• Carolina’s 97-yard touchdown drive across the third and fourth quarters was its longest of theseason. The Tar Heels also had a 91-yard scoring drive earlier in the game,making it back-to-back weeks with two drives of 90+ yards. The Tar Heels had scoring drives of 93 and 94 yards last Saturday against Georgia Tech.
• WR Quinshad Davis finished with school single-game freshman records of 16 catches and 178 yards. The previous records were nine catches (Octavus Barnes vs. Texas, 1994 Sun Bowl) and 171 yards (Hakeem Nicks at Notre Dame, 2006). The 16 match the ACC record for all players, tied most recently by Wake Forest’s Michael Campanero. Davis is one of six ACC players with 16 receptions in a game. Davis has now established a new season high for catches in each of the last three games and a new high for yards in each of the last two weeks.
• Davis also established a new school record for receptions in a season by a freshman with 52. GiovaniBernard held the record previously with 45 catches in 2011.
• Davis now ranks tied for fifth in ACC history for catches by a freshman and seventh in receiving yards by a freshman.
• TB Giovani Bernard carried 15 times for 57 yards and caught four passes for 47 yards and a touchdown. He has 1,065 rushing yards this year and 2,318 in 22 career games, good for 11th all-time at Carolina.
• Bernard scored one touchdown against Virginia and has 18 for the season in nine games and 32 touchdowns in 22 collegiate games. In 2012 he has scored 11 rushing, five receiving and two by punt returns in just nine games. Bernard's 18 touchdowns this year are the second-most in single-season school history, matching Mike Voight (1976) and Kelvin Bryant (1981). He needs three touchdowns to tie Don McCauley’s single-season record of 21 set in 1970.
• Bernard has scored 108 points this year, the third-most in UNC single-season history. Don McCauley(126 in 1970), Mike Voight (110 in 1976), Kelvin Bryant (108 in 1981) and Leon Johnson (100 in 1993) are the only other Tar Heels with 100 points in a season.
• TB A.J. Blue scored his ninth rushing touchdown of the season, a 3-yard scoring carry in the second quarter.
• Carolina now has 27 rushing touchdowns on the year, the most in a season since tallying 39 in 1993.
• Bernard and Blue have combined for 27 total touchdowns so far in 2012, one shy of Curtis (16) andLeon (12) Johnson’s school-record 28 in 1993.
• QB Bryn Renner completed 29 of 36 attempts for 315 yards and three touchdowns. It is his third straight 300-yard passing game. He now has 3,051 passing yards this season. It is the second straight season he has passed for more than 3,000 yards. Prior to 2010, no Carolina player had ever thrown for 3,000 yards. T.J. Yates passed for 3,418 yards in2010 and Renner had 3,086 in 2011.
• Renner threw for three touchdowns tonight and now has 23 for the season. His 23 touchdowns are the second-most in a single-season school history. His 26 touchdowns in 2011 were a school record.
• S Tre Boston scored his first career touchdown on a 36-yard interception return in the second quarter. Boston caught the ball near the right hash and ran diagonally across the field before running over a would-be tackler at the goal line. The interception was Boston’s fourth of the season and the eighth of his career.
• OG Jonathan Cooper started his 46th career game Thursday, most among active offensive linemen in the ACC.
• Carolina has scored 40 or more points five times this year and 30 or more eight times in the 11 games.
Even-Keeled Cavaliers Ready for RematchMen's Basketball2/9/16At 8 p.m. Tuesday, No. 7 Virginia meets ACC rival Virginia Tech at John Paul Jones Arena. The Hokies upset the Cavaliers last month in Blacksburg.Short-Handed Cavaliers' Struggles ContinueWomen's Basketball2/8/16Since losing All-ACC guard Faith Randolph, the Virginia women's basketball team has lost six of eight games. UVA hosts Syracuse on Thursday night.Selflessness Fuels Cavaliers' Latest TriumphMen's Basketball2/6/16Ninth-ranked Virginia totaled 17 assists in its 64-50 win over ACC rival Pittsburgh at the sold-out Petersen Events Center on Saturday afternoon.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
UVA Returns Home to Host Duke on Saturday
Football | 11/16/2015
Virginia returns home to the Jeffersonian confines of Scott Stadium on Saturday to host the Duke ...
Kickoff for UVA-Virginia Tech Game to Be Announced Nov. 21
Football | 11/16/2015
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today the start time for Virginia's Nov. 28 home football...
Severin Named ACC Receiver of the Week
Football | 11/16/2015
Virginia senior wide receiver Canaan Severin (Marlborough, Mass.) was named ACC Receiver of the...
Jeff White: Severin Shines Again in Losing Effort
Football | 11/15/2015
In a 38-31 loss to ACC foe Louisville, senior wide receiver Canaan Severin had eight receptions...
Kickoff Time for UVA's Home Game vs. Duke is Set for 3:30 p.m.
Football | 11/9/2015
The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today the start time for Virginia's Nov. 21 home football...
Virginia Drops 38-31 Decision to Louisville
Football | 11/14/2015
QB Matt Johns led the team with 260 passing yards and four touchdowns in loss to the Louisville...
Farm Bureau Insurance Coach's Corner with Mike London...
Football | 11/17/2015
The weekly "Coach's Corner with Mike London" radio program, presented by Virginia Farm Bureau...
Jeff White: Frye Closing Cavalier Career With Flourish
Football | 11/13/2015
With 64 points, senior kicker Ian Frye is the leading scorer for Virginia (3-6, 2-3), which...
- Online Stores