Nov. 16, 2012
Postgame Notes • Nov. 15, 2012 North Carolina 37, Virginia 13
• North Carolina improved to 7-4 overall and 4-3 in the ACC with a 37-13 victory over Virginia. It is the Tar Heels’ third-straight win over the Cavaliers and second consecutive win in Charlottesville. The three-game streak is the longest over Virginia since Carolina won nine straight from 1974-82.
• Carolina improved to 6-4 overall in ESPN Thursday night games.
• Carolina’s 97-yard touchdown drive across the third and fourth quarters was its longest of theseason. The Tar Heels also had a 91-yard scoring drive earlier in the game,making it back-to-back weeks with two drives of 90+ yards. The Tar Heels had scoring drives of 93 and 94 yards last Saturday against Georgia Tech.
• WR Quinshad Davis finished with school single-game freshman records of 16 catches and 178 yards. The previous records were nine catches (Octavus Barnes vs. Texas, 1994 Sun Bowl) and 171 yards (Hakeem Nicks at Notre Dame, 2006). The 16 match the ACC record for all players, tied most recently by Wake Forest’s Michael Campanero. Davis is one of six ACC players with 16 receptions in a game. Davis has now established a new season high for catches in each of the last three games and a new high for yards in each of the last two weeks.
• Davis also established a new school record for receptions in a season by a freshman with 52. GiovaniBernard held the record previously with 45 catches in 2011.
• Davis now ranks tied for fifth in ACC history for catches by a freshman and seventh in receiving yards by a freshman.
• TB Giovani Bernard carried 15 times for 57 yards and caught four passes for 47 yards and a touchdown. He has 1,065 rushing yards this year and 2,318 in 22 career games, good for 11th all-time at Carolina.
• Bernard scored one touchdown against Virginia and has 18 for the season in nine games and 32 touchdowns in 22 collegiate games. In 2012 he has scored 11 rushing, five receiving and two by punt returns in just nine games. Bernard's 18 touchdowns this year are the second-most in single-season school history, matching Mike Voight (1976) and Kelvin Bryant (1981). He needs three touchdowns to tie Don McCauley’s single-season record of 21 set in 1970.
• Bernard has scored 108 points this year, the third-most in UNC single-season history. Don McCauley(126 in 1970), Mike Voight (110 in 1976), Kelvin Bryant (108 in 1981) and Leon Johnson (100 in 1993) are the only other Tar Heels with 100 points in a season.
• TB A.J. Blue scored his ninth rushing touchdown of the season, a 3-yard scoring carry in the second quarter.
• Carolina now has 27 rushing touchdowns on the year, the most in a season since tallying 39 in 1993.
• Bernard and Blue have combined for 27 total touchdowns so far in 2012, one shy of Curtis (16) andLeon (12) Johnson’s school-record 28 in 1993.
• QB Bryn Renner completed 29 of 36 attempts for 315 yards and three touchdowns. It is his third straight 300-yard passing game. He now has 3,051 passing yards this season. It is the second straight season he has passed for more than 3,000 yards. Prior to 2010, no Carolina player had ever thrown for 3,000 yards. T.J. Yates passed for 3,418 yards in2010 and Renner had 3,086 in 2011.
• Renner threw for three touchdowns tonight and now has 23 for the season. His 23 touchdowns are the second-most in a single-season school history. His 26 touchdowns in 2011 were a school record.
• S Tre Boston scored his first career touchdown on a 36-yard interception return in the second quarter. Boston caught the ball near the right hash and ran diagonally across the field before running over a would-be tackler at the goal line. The interception was Boston’s fourth of the season and the eighth of his career.
• OG Jonathan Cooper started his 46th career game Thursday, most among active offensive linemen in the ACC.
• Carolina has scored 40 or more points five times this year and 30 or more eight times in the 11 games.
'Hoos Happy to Have Comforts of HomeBaseball5/31/16For the ninth time in its 13 seasons under head coach Brian O'Connor, Virginia is hosting an NCAA baseball regional.Lynch Makes Timely Return to MoundBaseball5/28/16In his first appearance since April 13, freshman Daniel Lynch retired all four batters he faced Friday in Virginia's ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest.Transfers Eager to Help Lift ProgramFootball5/26/16UVA's football team added three transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared Cohen and defensive end Jack Powers.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Transfers Eager to Help Lift Program
Football | 5/26/2016
Virginia added three FBS transfers this spring: quarterback Kurt Benkert, offensive guard Jared...
Virginia to Host Richmond at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 3
Football | 5/19/2016
As part of the announcement of early-season football television selections, the Atlantic Coast...
Blanding and Kiser Named to Lott IMPACT Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/18/2016
Virginia free safety Quin Blanding and inside linebacker Micah Kiser have been named to the 2016 ...
Jack Powers Transfers to UVA from Arizona State
Football | 5/17/2016
Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (May 17), former Arizona State offensive...
Matteo Named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
Football | 5/17/2016
Virginia football student-athlete Jackson Matteo has been named to the Rimington Trophy Watch List
East Carolina Quarterback Benkert Transfers to UVA
Football | 5/16/2016
Virginia head coach Bronco Mendenhall announced today (May 16), former East Carolina quarterback ...
Canady Selected by the Ravens in the 2016 NFL Draft
Football | 04/30/2016
Virginia senior cornerback Maurice Canady (Richmond, Va.) was selected by the Baltimore Ravens...
Jeff White: Spring Football Notebook
Football | 04/27/2016
With practice over until training camp begins in August, Virginia's coaching staff has shifted...
- Online Stores