May 6, 2013
Charlottesville, Va. - For the sixth consecutive year the Virginia men's golf team has received a bid to the NCAA Championships. The Cavaliers were awarded the number 11 seed among 13 teams at the regional championship site in Columbus, Ohio, at The Ohio State University Golf Club's Scarlett Course.
A total of 81 teams are competing at six regional sites May 16-18 with the top five teams and top two individuals (not qualifying with a team) advancing to the NCAA Championships set for May 28 to June 2 at The Capital City Club in Atlanta, Ga.
The regional berth marks the 17th time since 1990 the Cavaliers have competed in postseason play. Virginia is looking to advance to the NCAA Championships for the 14th time in its history. Last year the Cavaliers were fourth at a regional site in Ann Arbor, Mich., and advanced to the NCAA Championships, finishing 22nd at Riviera Country Club in Los Angeles.
The field for the Columbus regional includes (listed by seed): 1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte and 13. Valparaiso.
Virginia is one of nine ACC schools participating in this year's championship. The others are: Virginia Tech (Pullman, Wash.), Duke, Clemson, North Carolina (Tempe, Ariz.) and Georgia Tech, Florida State, Wake Forest and NC State (Tallahassee, Fla.).
Here are the participants (listed by seed) for the other six regional sites:
Palouse Ridge Golf Club - Pullman, Wash. (Host: Washington State)
1. California, 2. TCU, 3. USC, 4. St. Mary's (Calif.), 5. Virginia Tech, 6. BYU, 7. North Texas, 8. Baylor, 9. San Diego State, 10. Ball State, 11. Memphis, 12. Pacific, 13. Princeton, 14. Saint Francis
University Club - Baton Rouge, La. (Host: LSU)
1. Alabama, 2. Florida, 3. LSU, 4. Miss State, 5. Houston, 6. Northwestern, 7. Tennessee, 8. South Alabama, 9. Coastal Carolina, 10. UAB, 11. Wichita State, 12. SW Louisiana, 13. Houston Baptist
ASU Karsten Golf Course - Tempe, Az. (Host: Arizona State)
1. UCLA, 2. Duke, 3. Georgia, 4. Texas A&M, 5. Clemson, 6. Vanderbilt, 7. UCF, 8. North Carolina, 9. Arizona State, 10. Kennesaw State, 11. Arizona, 12. Austin Peay, 13. New Mexico State, 14. Lehigh
The Blessings Golf Club - Fayetteville Ark. (Host: Arkansas)
1. Texas, 2. Arkansas, 3. Oklahoma State, 4. SMU, 5. Kent state, 6. Illinois, 7. Liberty, 8. Tulsa, 9. Kentucky, 10. Colorado, 11. Indiana, 12. UNC Wilmington, 13. UMKC, 14. Alabama State
The Ohio State University Golf Club, Scarlet Course - Columbus, Ohio (Host: Ohio State)
1. New Mexico, 2. Stanford, 3. Auburn, 4. South Carolina, 5. Missouri, 6. UNLV, 7. Texas Tech, 8. Chattanooga, 9. Georgia Southern, 10. San Francisco, 11. Virginia, 12. Charlotte, 13. Valparaiso
Golden Eagle Golf and Country Club - Tallahassee, Fla. (Host: Florida State)
1. Washington, 2. Georgia Tech, 3. Florida State, 4. North Florida, 5. Oklahoma, 6. Wake Forest, 7. NC State, 8. Oregon, 9. Oregon State, 10. Iowa, 11. South Florida, 12. San Diego, 13. Loyola (Md.)
Changes Mark New Era at Scott StadiumFootball8/28/16University of Virginia football fans will notice many changes in the team's first season under head coach Bronco Mendenhall.Revamped Cavaliers Ready for New SeasonMen's Soccer8/26/16Newcomers abound for the Virginia men's soccer team, which opens the season Friday night against Coastal Carolina at Klöckner Stadium.Stearns Making Mark on UniversityWomen's Soccer8/25/16A four-year starter for the Virginia women's soccer team, Morgan Stearns hold the program record for career victories by a goalkeeper.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Stanger Bows Out in Round of 16 at U.S. Amateur
M. Golf | 8/18/2016
Virginia senior men’s golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) reached the round of 16 at the...
Stanger Wins in Opening Round of Match Play at U.S. Amateur
M. Golf | 8/17/2016
Virginia senior men’s golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) won his round of 64 contest in the...
Stanger Advances to Match Play at U.S. Amateur
M. Golf | 8/16/2016
Virginia senior men’s golfer Jimmy Stanger (Tampa, Fla.) advanced to the match play portion...
John Phillips Named Assistant Men's Golf Coach
M. Golf | 8/16/2016
Virginia men’s golf head coach Bowen Sargent announced today the hiring of John Phillips as...
Bard and Stanger Set to Open Play at U.S. Amateur
M. Golf | 8/14/2016
Two current members of the Virginia men’s golf team begin play at the 2016 U.S. Amateur...
Cavalier Golfers Earn Academic Honors from GCAA
M. Golf | 7/27/2016
Two individual players and the Virginia men’s golf team have been recognized by the Golf...
Sargent and Four Hoos Earn All-State Honors
M. Golf | 07/26/2016
Four members of the Virginia men’s golf team have been named to the all-state team by the...
VaSID Honors Three from UVA Golf
M. Golf | 06/24/2016
Three members of the UVA golf program were recognized when the 2016 VaSID All-State University...
- Online Stores