Oct. 12, 2017
|No. 10 Virginia at NC State|
|Date/Time||Oct. 13 | 7 p.m.|
|Location||Raleigh, N.C. | Dail Soccer Field|
|Live Video||ACC Network Extra | RSN|
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- No. 10 Virginia (9-1-2, 2-1-2 ACC) will play its third road match of the season on Friday (Oct. 13) when they visit NC State (6-4-1, 2-3 ACC) for an Atlantic Coast Conference contest. The game will be broadcast live on ACC Network Extra and Regional Sports Network.
Coverage: ACC Network Extra is available to authenticated subscribers of ESPN3 through WatchESPN and the ESPN app. For a complete listing of RSN affiliates for Friday night's game visit the link below. Live Stats will be available on VirginiaSports.com. Fans can also get in-game updates on the men's soccer official twitter feed (@UVAMenSoccer).
RSN Affiliates: http://www.theacc.com/sports/2017/9/25/rsn-msoc-171006.aspx
- Virginia comes into Friday's match unbeaten in its last four games while NC State has not lost in its last three times out.
- The Cavaliers moved up a spot in the United Coaches National Poll to No. 10 on Tuesday (Oct. 10) and dropped two spots to No. 6 in the NCAA RPI.
- Virginia is currently in fourth place in the ACC Coastal Division standings with eight points, one point behind third place Duke and two points behind second place Notre Dame.
- 10 different Virginia players have scored this season and 13 have recorded a point.
- Of the first 12 games of 2017, Virginia has been home for 10 of them with road contests at Virginia Tech and Notre Dame.
- Virginia has played in six overtime contests and boast a 3-1-2 record in matches requiring extra time. N.C. State has played three OT games including Tuesday's 0-0 draw with USC Upstate.
- Friday will be the 74th meeting between Virginia and NC State. The Cavaliers have played only Duke (87), North Carolina (85) and Maryland (79) in more matches.
- Virginia owns a 48-17-8 advantage in the all-time series that began in 1949.
- The 48 wins against NC State are the most against any opponent.
- Ranked No. 6 at the time, Virginia won the last regular season meeting against the Wolfpack, 1-0 in Charlottesville on Sept. 18.
- The two programs met in the First Round of the 2016 ACC Tournament in Charlottesville, a 1-0 Virginia victory.
- The Cavaliers are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games against N.C. State.
- Virginia improved to 7-0 against non-conference opponents on Tuesday night with a 4-2 comeback win over Lehigh.
- The Cavaliers erupted for four, second half goals, the most in a half since Sept. 11, 2012.
- Junior Edward Opoku broke a 2-2 tie with the eventual game-winner in the 82nd minute.
- Trailing twice in the contest, including a 1-0 deficit at halftime, Virginia registered its third come-from-behind victory of the season (Portland & Davidson)
- Sophomore Ryan Peterson sealed the win with his first collegiate goal in the 86th minute to make the score, 4-2.
- Virginia used 20 different players in the non-conference victory, the second most this season (22 vs. Hofstra). Reserve Jerren Nixon Jr. recorded his first collegiate point with an assist on Pablo Aguilar's game-tying goal in the 73rd minute.
- The Cavaliers have done most of their offensive damage in the second half, scoring 16 of its 26 goals this season in the final 45 minutes of regulation.
- Virginia currently ranks 10th in the country in total goals scored (26) and 15th in scoring offense (2.17 gpg).
- Edward Opoku is tied for third in the ACC with 17 points (7g, 3a) and ranks seventh in total goals (7).
- Sergi Nus added to his career best with his sixth goal against Lehigh on Tuesday night. He and Opoku are tied for the team lead with three game-winning scores this season.
- Pablo Aguilar has now registered a point in five of the last six games after tying the game up at two in the second half against Lehigh. His five goals on the year are two shy of a career-high set last season.
- Virginia surrendered only its second penalty kick goal of the season on Tuesday night against Lehigh.
- Opponents are now 2-for-2 in penalty kick attempts in 2017.
- Sergi Nus tied the game at one against Lehigh with his fourth penalty kick goal of the season.
- As a team, Virginia has already matched last year's total with four PKs made.
- Senior Jeff Caldwell will play in his 53rd game as the Virginia goalkeeper on Friday night, tied for the fourth most in program history.
- Caldwell has played every minute of the last 50 games in net for the Cavaliers.
Noting NC State
- NC State has recorded ACC wins over Syracuse (2-1) and Clemson (1-0) this season.
- The Wolfpack are 5-1-1 at home this season.
- After going scoreless in three-straight games midway through the season, NC State has scored five times in its last three games.
- Julius Duchscherer and Tanner Roberts each have four goals to lead the Wolfpack.
- Goalkeeper Leon Krapf is tied for the league lead with five shutouts this season.
Thompson Starts Laying GroundworkWomen's Basketball6/20/18Summer practice started Wednesday morning for the Virginia women's basketball team, which has a new head coach, Tina Thompson.Huff Looking to Make Up for Lost TimeMen's Basketball6/19/18A 7-1 forward from Durham, N.C., Jay Huff hopes to carve out a role in Virginia's frontcourt as a redshirt sophomore in 2018-19.Nus Traveling Road to RecoveryMen's Soccer6/18/18Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be ready for Virginia's opener in August.
Director of News Content
A 1985 graduate of UVA, White worked at the Richmond Times-Dispatch until July 2009. He was honored six times as the state's Sportswriter of the Year.
Jeff White: Nus Traveling Road to Recovery
M. Soccer | 6/18/2018
Rising senior Sergi Nus, an All-ACC defender who's recovering from a torn ACL, expects to be...
Men's Soccer Unveils 2018 Schedule
M. Soccer | 6/7/2018
The Virginia men’s soccer program announced its 2018 schedule that features 11 home dates...
Virginia to Play Maryland at Audi Field
M. Soccer | 5/15/2018
Cavaliers will play former ACC foe, Maryland on September 3, 2018 at Audi Field.
Barnold Takes Position with U.S. Soccer
M. Soccer | 5/4/2018
A.J. Barnold has landed a full-time role at U.S. Soccer, working closely with the United States...
Jeff White: Kessler Earning High Marks On and Off Field
M. Soccer | 4/12/2018
A rising sophomore who arrived at UVA in January 2017 with an associate's degree, Henry Kessler...
Ryan Hopkins Hired as Assistant Men's Soccer Coach
M. Soccer | 2/14/2018
Ryan Hopkins has been hired as an assistant coach for the Virginia men's soccer program, as...
Virginia Will Be Part of U.S. Soccer Spring Program
M. Soccer | 02/08/2018
Seven-time national champion, Virginia will compete in the first-ever U.S. Soccer Spring Program,...
Caldwell, Opoku Selected in MLS SuperDraft
M. Soccer | 01/19/2018
Jeff Caldwell was selected in the first round by New York City FC and Edward Opoku was taken in...
- Online Stores